Wednesday, February 1, 2012

amanda: intro to jewellery design

I apologize for the late post! But here's my take on designing rings.:)
After years of shopping for rings and imagining what rings I'd love to have, I decided to finally take an actual jewellery design course at my school.


 To start the design process, it is necessary to sketch out your ideas from various views so that when you are to make it, you will be clear about all angles of the design.
Then you make a wax mold of the design by sawing and filing a clump of casting wax. When you like what you have, you bring it to get it casted into your choice of silver, yellow brass, white brass, etc.

After you pick up the casted ring, you can see that there's a piece of brass sticking out. This needs to be sawed off carefully.
Then you must polish the ring with these sanding wheels to get all the debris off and see the brass shine through. :)
These tools are found only in a jewellery design studio so I can only work on my jewellery at the school's studio.

After hours and hours of hard work.. here's the finished product!
I personally like simple but edgy ring designs. This simple geometric ring is my very first attempt at jewellery design. I also casted it in white brass! How much would you be willing to pay for a brass ring like this one? 

Btw, this is my professor's website: http://www.geoffreygood.com/
Check out his stuff - it's pretty awesome!

No comments:

Post a Comment